HL-1 Solid-state Stereo Preamplifier
(with remote control)
"The HL1 majors on getting stuff in the right place at the right time....the HL1 represents that rarest of beasts, a full-facilities pre-amplifier that manages to sound excellent without costing a fortune."
- Roy Gregory hi-fi+ Issue 42
"HL-1's soundstage is wider and deeper, better separation, transparency and more alive than the VTSP-1."
- Thomas Leung Audiotechnique Magazine 2005 Issue #1
The Herron Audio HL-1 solid-state preamplifier is designed to take the listener as close as possible to the original live musical performance.
State-of-the-art components and design are combined using a purist approach that provides utmost clarity and reproduces the emotion, dynamics, and passion of the musical performance without adding or subtracting any colorations or distortions of its own.
The clarity of its performance is true to the source.
The HL-1 employs a volume control system very similar to the highly-rated Herron Audio VTSP-1A/166 with the addition of a remote control and level display. The HL-1 volume control provides 100 steps of discrete and precise channel-to-channel matched level control. The electronic stepped attenuators provide distortionless volume control that will not degrade with time or use.
The front-panel displays on the HL-1 are powered from individual latches and are not sequentially flashed (multiplexed) as in most display designs. This more-expensive approach means that each relevant display element is continuously illuminated, and no audio signal path interference is generated from the display.
The HL-1 front-panel input controls (and remote control) operate individual sealed gold-contact relays located at the input connectors to insure pure connections, short signal paths, and long life.
Available in black or silver with optional MM/MC switchable phono section.
|Remote control functions
- Multifunction remote control
- Volume level display (0 - 100)
- Unity gain pass-through function - initiated by holding "video" button
- Optional phono stage with switchable MM/MC modes
- Non-multiplexed display eliminating radio and audio inteference
- Switchable absolute polarity
- 100-step volume control system with precision tracking and low distortion
- Full-range, infinite-resolution indirect signal path balance control
- Stereo/mono switch
- Mute control
- Display brightness control
- Tape out/in loop
- Super-low noise
- High input-signal capacity without overload
- Automatic muting at startup and shutdown
- Gold plated RCA and ground connectors
- Hand-picked components for accurate response and consistent unit-to-unit quality
- Reversing power line (AC) polarity switch for minimizing line-to-chassis reactive currents and noise pickup
- Each unit is given an extensive burn-in, including rigorous bench and listening tests
|Frequency Response||1 Hz to beyond 100 kHz, 20 Hz to 20 kHz ±0.1 dB|
|Output Impedance||250 ohms nominal at 1 kHz (predominantly passive)|
|Input Impedance||100,000 Ohms|
|MM 44dB, MC 64dB|
|Volume Control||100-position electronic stepped attenuator, maximum differential ±0.1 dB channel to channel|
|Distortion||<0.01% THD + Noise @ 1 volt r.m.s. output|
|Dimensions||18" wide x 3.5" high x 10.5" deep|
|Warranty||3 years, parts and labor|
Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Herron Audio. All rights reserved.
Herron Audio, div. of Herron Engineering, Inc.
12685 Dorsett Road #138, Maryland Heights, MO 63043 U.S.A.